Chilton County is named for William Parish Chilton, who was an Alabama Supreme Court Justice and a Confederate congressman.
Created: December 30, 1868
Grantville 1868 – 1870
Clanton 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Clanton
Location: 500 2nd Avenue North / 5th Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Charles H McCawley & Associates
Contractor: Bear Brothers, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story concrete and glass structure.The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has green colored sections flank the recessed central section which has glass panels above the entrance. The north part of the building rises higher. The roof line is flat. The courtrooms are located on the second story.
See: The contractor, Bear Brothers, Inc. also constructed the courthouse in Montgomery County.
Note: The first courthouse was built at Grantville in 1870. The county seat was moved to Clanton and the second courthouse was built in 1872. The third courthouse was designed by D F Youngblood and built by J H Duke & Company in 1896. The building was restored after a fire in 1918. The architect was Frank Lockwood and the contractor was F M Dobson. The courthouse was replaced by the present courthouse.
N – Shelby County
Photos taken 2010 and 2018