Perry County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Perry County
Perry

Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a Commodore in the United States navy and who defeated the British in the decisive Battle of Lake Erie in 1813.

 

Created:  December 13, 1819

County Seat: 

Marion  1819 – present

 

County Courthouse – Marion

 

Location:  Courthouse Square / Washington Street

Built:  1855 – 1856

Style:   Greek Revival

Architect:  B F Parsons

Contractor:  James Didlake

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The south front has a wide porch with six large white colored columns and a balcony on the second story. There is a clock in the center of the pediment. Wings extend north and south and there is a pitched red roof. The courtroom is located in the center of the second story. The building was renovated in 1954. The architect was Martin J Lide of Birmingham and the contractor was C W Williams Company, Inc.

 

See:  Other antebellum courthouses in Alabama are located in Coosa County Lowndes County and Saint Clair County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Bibb County

E – Chilton County and Dallas County

S – Dallas County and Marengo County

W – Marengo County and Hale County

 

 

 

0658a10

County Courthouse

 

 

0659a10

 

 

0660a10

 

 

0661a10

 

 

0662a10

 

 

0663a10

 

 

0665a10

 

 

0669a10

 

 

0668a10

 

 

0667a10

 

 

0666a10

Photos taken 2010