Coosa County is named for the Coosa River, which flows through the county and is named after a Native American village.
Created: December 18, 1832
Rockford 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Rockford
Location: 1100 Main Street / Court Alley
Built: 1969 – 1970
Architect: Elliot and Bradford Inc.
Contractor: Hugh M Motes, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story brown-buff colored brick structure. The east front has a recessed porch with threes rectangular openings on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. The north and south sections project from the main building. The roof is pitched. Nearby is the old county jail.
Note: The courthouse was constructed by Patrick Coniff in 1858. The building was remodeled in 1906 and again in 1925 after a fire. The architect was Bem Price. The building was substantially remodeled in 1969 to 1970.
N – Talladega County
S – Elmore County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2010