Henderson County is named for James Pinckney Henderson, who was the first governor of Texas from 1846 to 1847.
Created: April 26, 1846
Athens 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Athens
Location: 100 East Tyler Street / Palestine Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: L L Thurmon & Company of Dallas
Contractor: L R Wright & Company of Dallas
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has wings that project at angles. On the south front and each side are large porticoes supported by four high columns with pediment above at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a round black colored dome. The courtroom is located on the second story.The building was renovated in 1986. The architect was Charles F Potter Jr. and the contractor was Athens Steel Building Corporation.
Note: The first courthouse was built by John Loop in 1850 and burned in 1855. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built by William Warenskjold in 1861. The third courthouse was constructed by C H Hawn & Company in 1887. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $175,000.
S – Anderson County
Photos taken 2010 and 2019