Vinton County is named for Samuel Finley Vinton, who was an Ohio statesman and a United States Congressman.
Created: March 23, 1850
McArthur 1850 – present
County Courthouse – McArthur
Location: 100 East Main Street / Market Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: E C Landberg and G T Landberg
Contractor: Frank Messer & Sons, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front projects from the main building and has vertical dividers in the center for the three entrances on the first story and the windows on the second story. The east and west wings are recessed. The roof line is flat. The building was a Works Project Administration project.
Note: The first and previous courthouse was built by James Millineaux in 1855.
N – Hocking County
Photos taken 2011