Gallia County is named for “Gaul” which is the ancient name for France.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Mason County, West Virginia
Created: April 30, 1803
Gallipolis 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Gallipolis
Location: 18 Locust Street / 1st Avenue
Built: 1982 – 1984
Architect: Eesly, Lee, Vargo and Cassady of Marietta
Contractor: Custom Facilities and Riedel Brothers
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has three large arches on the first story with recessed entrance. The center section projects from the main building. On the east side is higher section. The roof is hipped.
History: The first courthouse was built in 1806 to 1812. The second and third courthouses were destroyed by fire. The fourth courthouse was designed by Treat S Ford and constructed by T S Ford and Nelson Ford in 1878 to 1879. The building burned in 1981 and the fifth and present courthouse was constructed.
County Courthouse - Gallipolis
Photos taken 2011