Hocking County is named for the Delaware Native American word “Hoch-Hoch-ing” meaning “bottle”.
Created: March 1, 1818
Logan 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Logan
Location: 1 East Nain Street / South Market Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Architect: Frank L Pakard of Columbus and Snyder, Babbitt and Mathews
Contractor: E H Latham Company of Columbus
Description: The building faces north and is a three story limestone structure. The building is rectangular. The north front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story. Four columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with a wide header above at the roof line. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line. The interior has a long center courtyard with skylight.
Note: Construction of the building began on August 23, 1923 and Frank L Packard, the architect died on November 9, 1923. The firm of Snyder, Babbitt and Mathews was employed to complete the building.
S – Vinton County
Photos taken 2012