Jackson County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Jackson County
Jackson

Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.

 

Created:  March 1, 1816

County Seat:

Jackson  1816 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jackson

 

Location:  226 East Main Street / Broadway Street

Built:  1867 – 1868

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  R C Saunders

Contractor:  R C Saunders

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a large portico with a square brick pillar at each corner and two columns in the center and rising to flat roof. Behind, the building rises to a peak with square cupola with clock and steep roof. The roof is sloped. The building was rebuilt in 1951 to 1952 following a fire. The architect was C M Donaldson & Associates and the contractor was Don King Building Supplies.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the courthouse was $30,000. On January 17, 1951 fire broke out in the electrical circuits.  The top floor burned, but the fire was put out and court records were saved by volunteers who carried them out.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Vinton County 

E – Vinton County and Gallia County 

S – Gallia County, Lawrence County and Scioto County 

W – Scioto County, Pike County and Ross County

 

 

 

607k18

County Courthous

 

 

1474t11

 

 

1472t11

 

 

1473t11

 

 

612k18

 

 

614k18

 

 

1477t11

Photos taken 2011 and 2018