Fayette County is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette, who was a French general and politician and who fought in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: March 1, 1810
Washington Court House 1810 – present
County Courthouse – Washington Court House
Location: 110 East Court Street / North Main Street
Built: 1882 – 1884
Style: Second Empire
Architect: David W Gibbs & Company
Contractor: J North Brothers and John Lichtemberger
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story gray colored Bedford limestone structure. The first story consists of smooth stone and rectangular windows. Each side has a portico supported by four columns rising on the second story to a pediment at the roof line and having a balcony on the second story. The pediment contains a tympanum decorated with a wreath surrounded by flags. The second floor contains arched windows set into rusticated stone blocks. Decorative carved wreaths are set between each window. The third floor is lined with smooth stones and is pierced by long rectangular windows topped by a small square window above. A decorative frieze runs along this floor between the windows and Corinthian pilasters frame each window. On the center of the building is a square clock tower containing s giant eight day Seth Thomas clock. At the top of the tower is a white dome with statue. Inside are murals painted by Archibald M Willard.
N – Madison County
S – Highland County
Photos taken 2005 and 2012