Delaware County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Delaware County
0893O15

Delaware County is named for the Delaware Indians who took their name from the State of Delaware which was named after Lord De La Warr an early governor of Virginia.

 

Created:  February 10, 1808

County Seat:

Delaware  1808 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Delaware 

 

Location:  91 North Sandusky Street / Court Street

Built:  1868 – 1869

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Robert N Jones of Radnor

Contractor:  Robert N Jones of Radnor

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The  building is located on landscaped grounds and the east front has a stone arch entrance flanked by triple globe lights and an extended balcony on the second story. Stone trim is around the window tops. A large extended cornice follows the roof line. In the center is a small cupola with the figure of Justice at the top. The building was renovated in 1997 and is presently closed.

 

 Note:  The previous courthouse was built on Briar Hill in 1816 at a cost of $8000. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $70,000.

 

County Courthouse – Delaware 

 

422k18

 

Location:  110 North Sandusky Street / Court Street

Built:  2016 – 2017

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Silling Architects of Charleston, West Virginia

Contractor:  Lend Lease of Columbus and McDaniel’s Construction Corporation Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east is a five story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the old courthouse on the west side..The east front has a projecting central tower with glass walls and with the one story entrance section projecting east with an extended roof. On the east and north sides, the upper stories have glass walls. The roof line is flat. 

 

Old County Sheriff Residence and Jail – Delaware 

 

0897o15

 

Location:  50 Central Street / North Sandusky Street

Built:  1877 – 1878

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Robert N Jones of Radnor

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a one story porch on east side, The center section has a three story square red colored brich tower with entrance on the first story and steep roof at the top. On the west side, the building projects. The roof is hipped with dormers. The north side which housed the jail is rectangular. The building houses the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Appellate District located in Delaware County.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Canton  ( 5th Appellate District )

 

Courthouses: 

N – Marion County and Morrow County

E – Knox County and Licking County

S – Franklin County

W – Union County

 

 

 

0885o15

County Courthouse

 

 

0892o15

 

 

0879o15

 

 

0881o15

 

 

0883o15

 

 

0886o15

 

 

0889o15

 

 

0895o15

 

 

418k18

Judicial Building

 

 

419k18

 

 

420k18

 

 

423k18

 

 

424k18

 

 

425k18

 

 

427k18

 

 

0896o15

Old Sheriff Residence and Jail

 

 

0898o15

 

 

0899o15

 

 

0901o15

 

 

0903o15

 

 

0904o15

Photos taken 2015 and 2018