Clinton County is named for George Clinton, who was a vice president of the United States of America.
Created: March 1, 1810
Wilmington 1810 – present
County Courthouse – Wilmington
Location: 53 East Main Street / South South Street
Built: 1916 – 1919
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Architect: Werner & Adkins and C C Weber and E A Weber of Cincinnati
Contractor: Western Building Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story smooth stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square. The west front has a projecting center section with three arches on the first story having recessed entrances. Four colossal Corinthian columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with wide header above. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. There is a balustrade along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large dome containing a skylight illuminating the stained-glass window inside. There is a rusticated foundation.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John B Posey and the contractor was John Bush in 1839. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $300,000.
W – Warren County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018