Clermont County is the French name for “clear mountain”.
Created: December 8, 1800
Williamsburg 1800 – 1817
New Richmond 1817 – 1824
Batavia 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Batavia
Location: 270 East Main Street / North 3rd Street
Built: 1996 – 1998
Style: Modern / Federal and Greek Revival
Architect: Steinkamp, Steinkamp & Hampton
Contractor: Hemmer Industries, Inc. of Florence, Kentucky
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story structure. The southwest front has a portico with four white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roof of the portico is a high white cupola. A narrow horizontal band runs above the first story. The roof is sloped. The building is connected to the old courthouse on the west side.
Old County Courthouse – Batavia
Location: 270 East Main Street / North Market Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Architect: Hunt and Allen
Contractor: Varous trades
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with four large vertical columns rising to a wide header. The second story has large windows. The building adjoins the new courthouse on the southeast side. The engineer during contruction was Carl H Rush.
Note: The following bids were awarded for the construction of the courthouse
Cut Stone – Swenson Company of Bloomington, Indiana
Terrazzo – Cassini Mosaic and Title Company of Cincinnati
Marble – D Siewers Marble Company of Cincinnati
Iron & Steel – Reliance Art Metal, Inc.
Millwork – Elliott Lumber Company of Danville
Steel Buck and Doors – Durbrow and Otte
Flooring – United General Flooring Company
Hardware – J H Schroder Company
Plumbing & Heating – M J Gibbons Supply Company
County Administration – Batavia
Location: 76 South River Drive / Main Street
Built: 1993 – 1995
Style: Modern / Greek Revival
Architect: Steinkamp & Steinkamp
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick structure.
N – Warren County
E – Brown County
Photos taken 2011 and 2012