Bracken County is named for William Bracken, who was a trapper and frontiersman.
Created: December 14, 1796
Augusta 1796 – 1839
Brooksville 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Brooksville
Location: 116 West Miami Street / Locust Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Andrew J Bryan of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The southeast front has a large portico with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a white colored dome with clock at the top. During construction. the supervisor was O G Wilson. In 2002 and 2003, a three story addition was constructed on the northwest side. The architect was Architectural Plus Inc. and the contractor was Klenco Construction. On the south side of the building is the old white brick Sheriff Residence.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and constructed by Flora in 1862. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama in Coffee County, Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Calloway County and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish; in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.
See: The contractor, Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, constructed courthouses in Georgia in Appling County, Ben Hill County, Chattooga County, Irwin County, Stephens County and Warren County and in Kentucky in Boyd County, Calloway County and Mercer County; in North Carolina in Mitchell County; in Oklahoma in Love County.
County Judicial Center – Brooksville
Location: 110 Jefferson Street / Miami Street
Built: 2011 – 2013 ( under construction )
Architect: Sherman Carter Barnhart of Lexington
Contractor: Trace Creek Company of Vanceburg.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscvaped grounds on the west side of the courthouse. The northeast front has a large portico with four white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The green colored roof is sloped.
E – Mason County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018