Brown County is named for Jacob Brown, who was an officer during the War of 1812 and who was wounded at the Battle of Lundy’s Lane.
Created: March 1, 1818
Ripley 1818 – 1819
Bridgewater 1819 – 1823
Georgetown 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Georgetown
Location: 101 South Main Street / Cherry Street
Built: 1849 – 1850
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Emmet Hubert Baker and Charles Crouch
Contractor: Emmet Hubert Baker and Charles Crouch
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a recessed porch with two Doric columns rising to a header and with wide pediment above. The building has blue colored window and door trim. The windows are shuttered on both levels; a balcony is attached above the door and is accessed by a set of French Doors. The roof above the entrance resembles a pediment but is actually a gable. The two wings also contain entrances but the door is not recessed like the main entrance. Two stacked rectangular drums protrude from the center of the building with an octagon drum supporting the dome. A four faced clock protrudes from the sides of the final drum. The roof is sloped. Wings were added in 1914. In 1977, a fire damaged the building. The building was repaired by Modern Sales and Construction.
Note: In 1849, Robert N McLain received the contract to dig the basement. John Cleaves did the stonework and Jackson Egbert furnished the stone and fencing. Basil Waters and Jackson Devore were contracted to do the brickwork and Emmet Hubert Baker and Charles Crouch were contracted to do the carpentry.
W – Clermont County
Photos taken 2011 and 2012