Campbell County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Campbell County
0391WV12

Campbell County is named for John Campbell, who was a soldier during the American Revolutionary War.

 

Created:  December 17, 1794

County Seat: 

Wilmington  1794 – 1797

Newport       1797 – 1823

Visalia          1823 – 1824

Newport       1824 – 1840

Alexandria    1840 – 2010

 

Alexandria  2010 – present

Newport      2010 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Newport    

 

Location:  24 West 4th Street / York Street

Built:  1883 – 1884

Style:  Victorian and Second Empire

Architect:  Albert C Nash of Cincinnati, Ohio

Contractor:  L H Wilson

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The east front has a projecting center section rising to a peak at the third story and with a one story porch in front with balcony on the second story. On the south side of the center section is a high five story bell tower with clock at the top. On the south side of east front is the Clerk’s Office with separate entrance. On the west side, the building connects to the Justice Center. In 2012, the building was being renovated..

 

County Justice Center –  Newport    

 

0392wv12

 

Location:  24 West 4th Street / York Street

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  CMW Inc. of Lexington

Contractor:  Codell Construction Company of Winchester

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The west front has a three story center section with balustrade along the top. On either side are rectangular glass sections. Behind on the north and south, are two square brick towers rising above the roof line and with sloped roofs. The main entrance to the building is on the east side where a large glass atrium connects to the courthouse.

 

County Courthouse –  Alexandria

 

0452wv12

 

Location:  SE – East Main Street / Riley Road

Built:  1840 – 1842

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Reverend James Jolly.

Contractor:  Reverend James Jolly. and others

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The north front has a large porch supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The first story entrance has a frame with long narrow windows on either side. On the center of the roof is a white cupola with clock and sloped roof. On the west side is a one story wing which is connected to the two story Clerk’s Office which was added in 1928. A one story wing extends on the east side. In 1928, the building was remodeled.

 

Note:  The building was made of red colored brick which was burned at the brick kiln owned by the Spilman family. This kiln is now the site of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church on Jefferson Street. The Reverend James Jolly, minister of the Alexandria Baptist Church at one time, is said to have done most of the building himself, having been a mason and bricklayer by trade.

 

County Administration –  Newport    

 

0399wv12

 

Location:  1098 Monmouth Street / 11th Street

Built:  2007 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Brandstetter Carroll Inc.

Contractor:  Codell Construction Company of Winchester

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The north front has a curved central glass section with vertical dividers There is a southeast wing and a north west wing. The roof line is flat.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hamilton County, Ohio

E – Clermont County, Ohio

S – Pendleton County

W – Kenton County 

 

 

0385wv12

 

 

0387wv12

 

 

0388wv12

 

 

0394wv12

 

 

0393wv12

 

 

0450wv12

 

 

0454wv12

 

 

0455wv12

Photos taken 2012