Wake County is named for Margaret Wake, who was the wife of British colonial governor William Tyron.
Raleigh 1771 – present
County Courthouse – Raleigh
Location: 316 Fayetteville Street Mall / Davie Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Architect: Holloway-Reeves : Olsen Associates
Contractor: Nello L Teer company and J M Thompson Company
Description: The building faces east and is a fifteen story structure. The east front has a central recessed entrance on the first story with vertical pillars on either side. Above the entrance is a large county crest. The windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat.
Note: In 1882, a courthouse was designed by John B Halcott and built by Thomas H Briggs, Sr. and in 1915, the previous courthouse was designed by P Thornton and constructed by Frank B Simpson.
County Justice Center – Raleigh
Location: 300 South Salisbury Street / Martin Street
Built: 2010 – 2013
Architect: O’Brien Atkins and HO+K
Contractor: Barnhill Construction and Balfour Beaty Construction
Description: The building faces east and is an eleven story concrete and glass structure. The building rises with vertical concrete pillars with dark blue coloured glass windows between. The east front has a canopy above the first story entrance. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse.
Photos taken 2012 and 2014