Durham County is named for the City of Durham which was named after Dr. Bartlett Snipes Durham, who donated the land on which the railroad station was located.
Created: February 28, 1881
Durham 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Durham
Location: 510 South Dillard Street / Manguim Street
Built: 2011 – 2013
Architect: O’Brien/Atkins Associates
Contractor: Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
Description: The building faces south and is a nine story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the edge of a slope. The windows are vertical with panels between, The roof line is flat.
County Judicial Building – Durham
Location: 201 East Main Street / Roxboro Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Archie Royal Davis and Balfour, Hackney
Contractor: W J Megin Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The first story is recessed with narrow vertical windows. The upper stories have large vertical glass panels with vertical concrete dividers. The top floor is recessed and has small windows.
Old County Courthouse – Durham
Location: 200 East Main Street / Roxboro Street
Built: 1916 – 1917
Architect: Milburn and Heister
Contractor: George A Fuller Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story Indiana limestone structure. The building is rectangular in shape. The north front has three central arches with solid bronze doors and above are small balconies on the second story. The windows are slightly recessed with vertical pilasters with Corinthian capitals between. A wide cornice runs along the flat roof line. During construction of the building, the supervisor was T Y Milburn.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Bryon A Pugin and constructed by Charles N North in 1885.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
N – Person County
W – Orange County
Photos taken 2012