Nash County is named for Francis Nash, who was a brigadier general in the American Revolutionary War and who was mortally wounded at the Battle of Germantown.
Created: November 15, 1777
Nashville 1777 – present
County Courthouse – Nashville
Location: 224 West Washington Street / North Broad Street
Built: 1921 – 1922
Style: Greek Revival / Colonial Revival
Architect: John C Stout
Contractor: Weldon Building Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico with six high Roman Doric columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The second story windows are arched. Behind the south central section are east and west two story wings. Several additions have been added. An addition was added in 1974 to 1975. The architect was Shields-Wyatt-Associates and the contractor was Commercial Builders, Inc. and Wiggins & Company Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1833. The building was demolished.
County Administration – Nashville
Location: 120 West Washington Street / North Broad Street
Built: 1998 – 1999
Architect: Oakley Associates, Architects
Contractor: J W Grand, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The south front has a curved central section with a central entrance and large glass window on the second story. The windows on the second story are horizontal with no divisions. The roof line is flat. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the east of the courthouse.
E – Edgecombe County
Photos taken 2012