Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: April 14, 1778
Louisburg 1779 – present
County Courthouse – Louisburg
Location: 102 South Main Street / East Nash Street
Built: 1849 – 1850
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Richard O Britton and Harry A Taylor
Contractor: Richard O Britton and Harry A Taylor
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is locared on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a wide portico with six white colored Roman Doric columns supporting a wide pediment at the roof line. The center section of the building extends outwards and the east side extends also. The roof line is sloped. The building was remodeled in 1936 and 1937. The architect was M S Davis and the contractor was C A Ragland and W H Edens. In 1968, the building was enlarged and remodeled. The architect was Harry J Harles and the contractor was J M Thompson.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed in 1781. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $4,058.75.
Note: Local tradition holds that the first Confederate flag designed by Orren Randolph Smith of Franklin County was first raised over the courthouse square on March 18, 1861.
Photos taken 2012