Granville County

US States / N / North Carolina / Granville County
Granville

Granville County is named for John Carteret, who was the second Earl Granville and who inherited one-eight share in the Province of Carolina through his great-grandfather George Carteret.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Halifax County, Virginia and Mecklenburg County, Virginia

E – Vance County and Franklin County

S – Wake County

W – Durham County and Person County

 

Created:  June 28, 1746                         Map of North Carolina highlighting Granville County

County Seat: 

Boiling Spring   1746 – 1764

Harrisburg         1764

Oxford               1764 – present

 

County Courthouse – Oxford

 

Location:  101 Main Street / Williamsboro Street

Built:  1838 – 1840

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  John Walthall

Contractor:  John Walthall

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Oxford. The southwest front has a projecting center section with central entrance on the first floor. Above the roof line is a square red brick base with white colored octagonal cupola with dome at the top. In the interior, there are steep curving stairs rising on either side of the vestibule. An arched opening leads to a wide center hall on the first story.  The courtroom is located on the second story and has tall narrow windows and double doors. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 9th Judicial District. An addition was constructed in 1937 by the Public Works Administration.

 

See:  The 9th Judicial District includes Franklin County, Person CountyVance County and Warren County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1746 and Boiling Spring was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of William Eaton. The first courthouse was erected in Boiling Spring in 1749. In 1764, the county seat was moved to Harrisburg and then to Oxford where the second courthouse was a wood frame structure built by John Goodloe in 1764. In 1838, the courthouse was moved to 221 Gilliam Street and High Street and became a residence named as the Bransford Ballou House. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1838 to 1840.

 

County Administration Building – Oxford

 

0720nc12

 

Location:  122 Williamsboro Street / New College Street

Built:  1985

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Brown, Edwards & Miller, Inc.

Contractor:  C C Woods Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Oxford on the north side of the courthouse. The southeast front has large openings with recessed porch. The roof line is flat.

 

0715nc12

County Courthouse – Oxford

 

 

0716nc12

 

 

0717nc12

 

 

0718nc12

 

 

0719nc12

County Administration Building – Oxford

 

 

0721nc12

Photos taken 2012