Santa Fe County was named for a city in Spain built by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella.
Created: January 9, 1852
Santa Fe 1852 – present
County Judicial Complex – Santa Fe
Location: 225 Montezuma Avenue / Sandoval Street
Built: 2009 – 2013
Architect: NCA Architects of Albuquerque
Contractor: Bradbury Stamm Construction Inc. of Albuquerque
Description: The building faces east and is a two story glass and concrete structure. Named as the Judge Steve Herrera Judicial Complex, the building houses the First District Court. The east front has a large plaza with concrete pillars supporting a horizontal concrete beam. The building sits atop a drilled pier foundation system with a steel frame and stucco exterior with adheres to the Pueblo Spanish and Territorial architecture. The entrance lobby has high concrete pillars with recessed glass walls and entrance on the first story on the east side. The main building is a rectangular structure on the west side. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $38,500,000.
County Administration – Santa Fe
Location: 102 Grant Avenue / West Palace Avenue
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Spanish Pueblo
Architect: John Gaw Meem
Contractor: Ellis-Nicholson & Cramer
Description: The building faces east and is a two story stucco structure. The building has a wood portico along the first story front. The building features an ornate courtroom with hand-carved corbels, beams, and a split cedar ceiling. There are tinwork light fixtures, and more carved beams with Indian motifs throughout the building. An addition was added in 1975. The building served as the courthouse until the court moved to the Judicial Complex at Canton and Grant to the north.
Old County Judicial Complex – Santa Fe
Location: 100 Catron Street / Grant Avenue
Built: 1937 – 1938
Architect: Unknown ( John Gaw Meem )
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was constructed as the Harvey Junior High School and was converted for use by the District Court until 2013. The east front has a recessed central porch with four white colored pillars. The roof line is flat.
Note: A courthouse was built by Kavanaugh in 1886 and was destroyed by fire in 1905. In 1910, a courthouse was designed by Isaac Rapp and William Rapp and constructed by Lyn & Axtell.
See: Located in the county is the New Mexico Supreme Court.
S – Torrance County
Photos taken 2000 and 2016