Bernalillo County

US States / N / New Mexico / Bernalillo County
Bernalillo

Bernalillo County is named after the Gonzales-Bernalillo family that lived in the area before the Re-Conquest in 1692.

 

Created:  January 8, 1852

County Seat:

Bernalillo  ( US Territory )    1849 – 1851

Ranchos de Albuquerque    1851 – 1854

Albuquerque ( Old Town )    1854 – 1878

Bernalillo                              1878 – 1883

Albuquerque                        1883 – present

 

County Courthouse – Albuquerque

 

Location:  400 Lomas Boulevard Northwest / 4th Street Northwest

Built:  1999 – 2000

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Custer Basarich Architects

Contractor:  Bradbury Stamm Construction Inc. of Albuquerque

 

Description: The building faces northeast and is a nine story glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The building forms an “L” shape with the front on the northeast side where the two story sand brick wing has arches along the first story and a rounded entrance way in the center facing a small plaza. Design architect was FMSM Design Group and technology contractor was Johnson Controls Inc.

 

Old County Courthouse – Albuquerque

 

bernalillo-o

 

Location:  415 Tijeras Street NW / 5th Street NW

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Tjalke Charles Gaastra

Contractor:  Robert E McKee of El Paso, Texas

 

Description: The building faces south and is a four story cream colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the south side of the courthouse. The south front has a central recessed entrance on the first story. Above the entrance is a stone faced section. Between the windows are decorative panels. The roof line is flat.  The halls and floor are lined with marble. The building was remodeled in 1964. The architect was Louis G Hesselden and A W Marshall, Associates and the contractor was Lemke Construction Company Inc. The building is named as the Court House and Hall of Justice and houses county offices.

 

Note:  The building was originally red colored brick. During the 1964 remodeling, the building exterior was faced with stone siding.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was designed by F E Edbrooke and constructed by Gaetano Palladino and Michael Bernardinelli in 1886. The building was located at 2001 West Central Avenue at the site of the San Felipe Elementary School and cost of construction was $62,054.

 

County Administration – Albuquerque

 

1158nm16

 

Location:  415 Tijeras Street NW / 5th Street NW

Built:  1983 – 1985

Style:  Modern

Architect:  W C Kruger & Associates and Dean / Hunt & Associates

Contractor:  CRSS / Western Empire Construction Inc.

 

Description: The building faces east and is an eleven story buff colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located facing onto the Civic Plaza with the old courthouse on the south side and the Albuquerque City Hall on the north side in the center of the city. The east side o the building is tiered with projecting canopies between the horizontal windows. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Albuquerque / Bernalillo County Government Center.  

 

See:  The New Mexico Court of Appeals – Albuquerque is located in the county.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Sandoval County

E – Santa Fe County and Torrance County

S – Torrance County and Valencia County

W – Valencia County and Cibalo County

 

 

 

0852nm07

County Courthouse

 

 

0850nm07

 

 

0853nm07

 

 

0854nm07

 

 

0848nm07

 

 

0845nm07

Old County Courthouse

 

 

0843nm07

 

 

1136nm16

 

 

1138nm16

 

 

1140nm16

 

 

1142nm16

 

 

1153nm16

Picture 1927 Courthouse before remodeling

 

 

1151nm16

Commissioner Minutes – 1927 Courthouse contractor

 

 

1154nm16

Picture 1886 Courthouse

 

 

1156nm16

County Administration

 

 

1159nm16

 

 

1157nm16

 

 

1161nm16

 

 

1162nm16

Photos taken 2007 and 2016