Torrance County is named after Francis J Torrance, who was a promoter who took part in the building of the New Mexico central Railroad and who established a town named after himself.
Created: March 16, 1903
Estancia 1903 – present
County Courthouse – Estancia
Location: 205 9th Street / Allen Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Kruger, Lake & Henderson
Contractor: G W Stuckman.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story glass and concrete structure. The east front has a glass wall with the entrance foyer inside. The center rises higher than the rest of the building and has a wide concrete band around the roof line. On the north and south are low cut stone faced wings.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by Ringardt in 1910.
E – Guadalupe County
Photos taken 2007