Elko County is named for a Shoshoni word meaning “white woman”.
Created: March 3, 1869
Elko 1869 – present
County Courthouse – Elko
Location: 571 Idaho Street / 6th Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William H Weeks
Contractor: Sellman Brothers of Reno
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico with four Tuscan style columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The pediment has ornamentation. Above the recessed entrance is an image of the face of Lady Justice in bas-relief. There are four column on the west and east sides. An ornate balustrade runs along the flat roof line. On the center of the roof is a shallow dome. On the north side is a modern addition.
Note: The cost of construction was $150,000.
County Administration – Elko
Location: 540 Court Street / 6th Street
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: Lombard-Conrad Architects
Contractor: MGM Construction
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is named as the Nannini Administration Building. The entrance is at the center of the north front. The second story has horizontal windows. The roof overhangs the building. The courthouse is located on the south side.
W – Humboldt County
Photos taken 2013