Tooele County is named for either Tuila, who was a Native American chief, or for the Gashute word meaning “bear”, or for the Spanish word “tule” meaning bulrush”.
Created: March 3, 1852
Tooele 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Tooele
Location: 74 South 1st Street East / East 100 Street South
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: MHTN Architects
Contractor: Jacobsen Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete, brick and glass structure. The east front has a projecting center section with vertical brick dividers and large green glass panels. The north side is a solid glass wall. On the south side is a brown brick section which extends east.
County Administration – Tooele
Location: 47 South Main Street / East 100 Street South
Built: 1973 – 1974
Contractor: Horne Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a four story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building served as the courthouse until 2007.
Note: The previous courthouse was a two story brick structure constructed by M C Wood in 1899. The building was razed when the 1974 courthouse was constructed.
Old County Courthouse – Tooele
Location: 47 East Vine Street / North Gardner Street
Built: 1867 – 1868
Architect: James Hammond and others
Contractor: James Hammond and others
Description: The building faces south and is a one story flagstone structure. In 1874, the belfry was added to the building. The building served as courthouse until 1899 and then as City Hall. The building is presently the Daughters of Utah Pioneer Museum.
Note: The building was designed and constructed by James Hammond, William Broad, Isaac Lee, W C Gollaher, John Gillespie, George Atkin and John Gordon.
N – Box Elder County
S – Juab County
Pictures taken 2009, 2013 and 2015