White Pine County is named for the white pine trees in the region.
Created: March 2, 1869
Hamilton 1869 – 1887
Ely 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Ely
Location: 801 Clark Street / 9th Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Neo-Classical and Italianate
Architect: George T Beardslee
Contractor: R E Dodson and G W Wells
Description: The building faces north and is a two story cream colored dressed ashlar and concrete structure. The building sits on a hilltop. The north front has a porch at the central entrance supported by two pillars and with balcony on the second story. The central section projects slightly from the main building and rises to a peak at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square brown colored cupola with copper dome. The roof is sloped. A two story jail was added to the rear in 1925.
Note: The contract was $49,699 for a new courthouse, along with an additional $3,384 for the structure’s copper dome.
N – Elko County
Photos taken 2013