Lander County

US States / N / Nevada / Lander County
0335C13

Lander County is named for Frederick W Lander, who was an American Civil War general and developer of the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Elko County

E – Eureka County

S – Nye County

W – Churchill CountyPershing County and Humboldt County

 

Created:  November 25, 1861                                                    Map of Nevada highlighting Lander County

County Seat: 

Jacobsville          1861 – 1863

Austin                 1863 – 1979

Battle Mountain  1979 – present

 

County Courthouse – Battle Mountain

 

Location:  315 South Humboldt Street / West 3rd Street

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Federic J DeLongchamps of Reno

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a one story cream colored stucco and red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Battle Mountain. The east front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building was formerly a grammar school that was converted in 1979 to serve as the courthouse.

 

See:  Frederic J DeLongchamps designed courthouses located in Carson City ( Ormsby County ), Douglas CountyHumboldt County, Lyon County, Perishing County and Washoe County. He also designed the California courthouse in Alpine County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Austin

 

0328c13

 

Location:  180 Main Street / 9th Street

Built:  1871 – 1872

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Dan P Bell

Contractor:  Bliss and Mahoney

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located in the center of Austin. The north front has a central entrance on the first story and small iron balcony on the second story. The building has a gabled roof. The building served as a courthouse until 1979 and still has a courtroom on the second story.

 

Note:  The cost of the courthouse was $30,000 including construction expenses, adjacent lots, and furniture. It was reported that a hanging took place from the balcony on the second story.

 

History:  The first courthouse was a wooden structure built by A J McDonald erected in Jacobsville in 1862 at a cost of $8,440. The county seat was moved to Austin in 1863 and the second courthouse was built and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Battle Mountain in 1979.

 

 

 

0336c13

County Courthouse – Battle Mountain

 

 

0338c13

 

 

0339c13

 

 

0340c13

 

 

0341c13

 

 

0327c13

Old County Courthouse – Austin

 

 

0331c13

 

 

0329c13

 

 

0332c13

 

 

0333c13

 

 

0334c13

Photos taken 2013