Roscommon County

US States / M / Michigan / Roscommon County
Roscommon

Roscommon County is named for County Roscommon located in Ireland and “ros” means ‘wooded promontory or pleasant place” and “Coman” was an Irish saint.

 

Created:  April 1, 1840

County Seat:

Hall Farm        1875 – 1879

Roscommon  1879 – present

 

County Courthouse – Roscommon

 

Location:  500 Lake Street / South 3rd Street

Built:  2004 – 2007

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Wigen, Tincknell, Meyer & Associates

Contractor:  Pioneer Construction

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast entrance has a circular overhang with recessed glass doors. The old courthouse is connected along the west side.

 

See:  The architect, Wigen, Tincknell, Meyers & Associates, designed courthouses  in Clinton CountyIngham County and Montcalm County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Roscommon

 

0387mc08

 

Location:  500 Lake Street / South 3rd Street

Built:  1963 – 1964

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti

Contractor:  Pyramid Construction Company.

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front entrance has a circular overhang supported by four pillars with recessed glass doors. An addition was added in 1975. The building now houses the county administration. The new courthouse is along the east side.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1879 at a cost of $1500. The cost of the 1964 courthouse was $520,000 and the preset courthouse cost $18,000,000.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

Courthouses: 

N – Crawford County

E – Ogemaw County

S – Gladwin County and Clare County

W – Missaukee County

 

 

 

0392mc08

 

 

0394mc08

 

 

0395mc08

 

 

0396mc08

 

 

0388mc08

 

 

0389mc08

 

 

0390mc08

 

 

0391mc08

Photos taken 2008 and 2010