Ingham County is named for Samuel Ingham, who was Secretary of the Treasury under President Andrew Jackson.
Created: October 29, 1829
Ingham 1838 – 1840
Mason 1840 – present
County Courthouse – Mason
Location: 315 North Jefferson Street / East Maple Street
Built: 1902 – 1905
Style: Classic Revival
Architect: Edwyn A Bowd of Lansing
Contractor: George Rickman & Sons Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story Berea sandstone structure. The building has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square dome with clock and white colored roof. The statue of a Golden Eagle is atop the dome. The building was renovated from 1980 to 1995.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Emmons White in 1840 to 1841 at a cost of $325. The next courthouse was constructed by William Hammond & Company in 1842. The previous courthouse was designed and built by Matthew Elder of Lansing in 1858 at a cost of $12,229,19. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $96,678.
County District Court – Mason
Location: 700 Buhl Drive / North Cedar Street
Description: The building faces west and is a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The roof line is flat.
See: Michigan Supreme Court which is located in Lansing
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Other Branch Courthouses
S – Jackson County
W – Eaton County
Photos taken 2008