Crawford County is named for William H Crawford, who was a politician and Fort Crawford in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin was named for him.
Created: April 1, 1840
Pere Cheney 1879
Grayling 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Grayling
Location: 200 Michigan Avenue / Norway Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Harley–Ellington–Cowin–Stirton Inc.
Contractor: Elzinga and Volkers Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story pink colored stucco and concrete structure. The building has a one story overhang on the north at the entrance. The building has pink colored concrete on the centre of the exterior walls and concrete on the upper and lower portions. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1879 and burned in 1902. The previous courthouse was designed by Haug & Scheurman and constructed in 1909.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Otsego County
E – Oscoda County
S – Roscommon County
W – Kalkaska County
Photos taken 2008