Marquette County is named for Father Pere Jacques Marquette, who was a French missionary.
Created: March 9, 1843
Marquette 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Marquette
Location: 234 West Baraga Avenue / South 3rd Street
Built: 1902 – 1904
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Demitrius F Charlton and R William Gilbert of Marquette
Contractor: Northern Construction Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored sandstone, marble and copper structure. The building front has a large projecting portico supported by four large columns with wide steps descending. On the center of the roof is a circular flat dome with windows. The interior has marble walls and staircase. The courtroom is finished with mahogany and marble. Mosaic tiles, wool carpeting, and stained glass fill the building. On the west side is a modern dark colored brick annex.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857 on the present site. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $210,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake Superior and Ontario, Canada
Photos taken 2008