Alger County is named for Russell A Alger, who was a Governor of Michigan and a United States Senator.
Created: March 17, 1885
Au Train 1885 – 1901
Munising 1901 – present
County Courthouse – Munising
Location: 101 Court Street / West Jewell Street
Built: 1979 – 1980
Architect: G Arntzen & Company of Escanaba
Contractor: Olsen and Flath and Brandt Construction
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a one story overhang on the northwest corner with concrete header and recessed entrance. The second story is recessed on the north and west sides. The building has a flat roof. The building is named as the Alger County Complex.
Note: The old courthouse designed by Demetrius Frederick Charlton in 1902, burned on November 6, 1978 and offices were moved into the annex which was then expanded to become the new courthouse. A second story was constructed. The old courthouse stood where the parking lot is today on the north side of the present courthouse.
Note: Moe’s Excavating was hired for $9,860 to salvage material from the old courthouse. The cost to construct the present courthouse was approminately $3,000,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake Superior and Ontario, Canada
S – Delta County
W – Marquette County
Photos taken 2008 and 2010