Menominee County is named for the American Indian word meaning “wild rice eater” and is the name of the Menominee Native Americans.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Marquette County
E – Delta County and Lake Michigan
Created: Mach 15, 1861
Menominee 1863 – present
County Courthouse – Menominee
Location: 839 10th Avenue / 9th Street
Built: 1875 – 1876
Style: High Victorian / Italianate
Architect: Gordon P Randall
Contractor: Cummings & Hagen
Description: The building faces north and is a three story pink-red colored brick and stone structure. On the north front is a covered brick portico rising to the bottom of the second story. The base of the building is course white colored stone. The windows are narrow and vertical. There are four roof pediments and a projecting cornice at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with black colored roof tapering to a spire. An addition was added in 1909 and a further addition was constructed on the south side in 1938. The courthouse was renovated in 1984.
History: Menominee became the county seat in 1863. The first and only courthouse was constructed in 1875 to 1876 at a cost of $32,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Courthouse - Menominee
Photos taken 2007 and 2010