Baraga County is named for Bishop Frederick Baraga, who was a missionary who worked with the local Native American people.
Created: February 19, 1875
L’Anse 1875 – present
County Courthouse – L’Anse
Location: 16 North 3rd Street / East Broad Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Architect: John B Sweatt of Marquette
Contractor: William Appleyard
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits on a hill overlooking the downtown area. The center section projects outward from the building on the northwest and southeast sides and has a hipped roof. There are also peaks on the other sides of the roof. The building has arched windows on the first story. An addition has been added to the northeast side. On the south side of the building is the jail constructed in 1912.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Marquette County
S – Iron County
W – Houghton County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010