Delta County is named for the Greek ”Delta” symbol as the original shape of the county was triangular.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: Mach 9, 1843
Masonville 1861 – 1864
Escanaba 1864 – present
County Courthouse – Escanaba
Location: 310 Ludington Street / 3rd Street South
Built: 1959 – 1961
Architect: G Arntzen & Company of Escanaba
Contractor: Erling Arntzen of Escanaba
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Escanaba. The east and west wings project south from the main building. In the center is a canopy at the main entrance. White colored bands of concrete run between the first and second story windows and along the roof line. A map of the county adorns the southeast corner of the building. The roof line is flat. In the interior there is glass, stone and wood. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 47th Judicial District, County District Court and County Probate Court. The building was enlarged in 1994 with the addition of the second story. The architect was G Arntzen & Company of Escanaba and the contractor was Menze Construction Company.
History: The county was created in 1843 and Masonville was selected as the county seat in 1861 when the county was organized. The county seat was moved to Escanaba in 1864. The first courts were held in private residences. The first courthouse was designed by J McDonnell and was built by H G Ashmun in 1882 at a cost of $20,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $680,000 in 1959 to 1961. The cost of the 1994 addition was $5,000,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Courthouse - Escanaba
Delta County Park - Escanaba
Photos taken 2008