Luce County is named for Cyrus G Luce, who was a Governor of Michigan.
Created: Mach 1, 1887
Newberry 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Newberry
Location: 407 West Harrie Street / East Court Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Gordon Buitendorp Associates Inc. of Holland
Contractor: Omega Construction Company Inc.of Grandville
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff-red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has a square wing having narrow vertical windows. The northeast wing has the same narrow vertical windows and a pitched yellow colored roof. Both sections have a dark brown colored horizontal band below the dark brown roof line. An addition was added in 1978 and 1979. The architect was G. Arntzen & Company of Escanaba. On the west side of the courthouse is the old Sheriff Residence and Jail designed by Lovejoy & DeMar and constructed in 1894.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed in 1890. The building was torn down when the present courthouse was constructed.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake Superior and Ontario, Canada
E – Chippewa County
S – Mackinac County
Photos taken 2008