Chippewa County is named for the Native American Chippewa or Ojibwe Native American people who resided in the region.
Created: February 1, 1827
Sault Ste. Marie 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Sault Ste. Marie
Location: 319 Court Street / Maple Street
Built: 1877 – 1878
Style: Second Empire
Architect: William Scott and John Scott of Sault Ste. Marie
Contractor: William Scott and John Scott of Sault Ste. Marie
Description: The building faces north and is a two story sandstone and limestone structure. The building has a projecting central section with the entrance surrounded by an arch. At the top is a decorative pediment. The building has a mansard roof and walls which are two feet thick. On the center of the roof is a large square dome with a wood Statue of Justice, clock and steep black roof. Additions were added in 1904 with architect R C Sweat of Marquette. A further addition was constructed in 1930. The building was renovated 1n 1989. on the south side is the modern Courthouse Annex.
Note: The sandstone used in construction was extracted from the second ship canal. Limestone from nearby Drummond Island was also used. The cost of construction was $20,000 and the 1904 addition, cost $25,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake Superior and Ontario
E – Ontario, Canada
W – Luce County
Photos taken 2008