Schoolcraft County is named for Henry Schoolcraft, who explored the area with the expedition of Lewis Cass.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Alger County
Created: Mach 9, 1843
Onota 1871 – 1879
Manistique 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Manistique
Location: 300 Walnut Street / South Maple Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: G Arntzen & Company of Escanaba
Contractor: Omega Construction Company Inc. of Grandville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red-brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Manistique. The building has a central entrance with overhanging canopy and recessed doorway. The east wing is two stories with vertical brick divisions between the banks of double windows. The west wing is one story.The roof line is flat. The interior has a large bronze mural by Jack E Anderson.
History: The first county seat was Onota in 1871. The county seat was moved to Manistique in 1879. The first courthouse was a two story wood structure built in 1885. The second courthouse was designed by F W Hollister and constructed in 1901. The burning was destroyed by fire on March 9, 1974. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1975 to 1976 at a cost of $2,173,550.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Courthouse - Manistique
Picture 1901 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2008