Russel County is named for William Russell, who was a soldier and a legislator.
Created: December 14, 1825
County Courthouse – Jamestown
Location: 202 Monument Square / Main Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Watkins and Associates of Lexington
Contractor: Jones, Nance & Steineman Inc. of Bowling Green
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the southwest side of Monument Square. The north front has a central portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola. The roof is hipped. The building is an EDA local Public Works project.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Thomas T Milburn and constructed by J B Patten in 1877.
County Judicial Center – Jamestown
Location: 410 Monument Square / Main Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Bransetter Carroll, Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Branscum Construction Company of Russell Springs and Pepper Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the northeast side of Monument Square. The west front has a one story portico supported by six columns. The second story has recessed windows above the portico with pediment at the roof line. The building is tiered with projecting wings. The base of the building is course stone and the basement level descends the slope on the east side. The roof is hipped.
N – Casey County
W – Adair County
Photos taken 2014