Cumberland County is named for the Cumberland River which flows through the county.
Created: December 14, 1798
Burkesville 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Burkesville
Location: 212 North Main Street / Upper River Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Colonial Georgian
Architect: Edgar W Archer of Louisville
Contractor: J Fred Pace of Marrowbone, Kentucky
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the Public Square. The southwest front has an entrance flanked by two columns rising to the header above the doorway. Above the doorway is a large arched window on the second story. White stones decorate the tops of the windows. A wide horizontal white band encircles the building below the roof line.
County Justice Center – Burkesville
Location: 112 Public Square / Smith Street
Built: 2004 – 2005
Architect: Lyle Associates Architects of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a recessed entrance with four high square pillars. The east and west sides are curved with windows. The ciurthouse is located to the north in the center of the Public Square.
S – Clay County, Tennessee
W – Monroe County
Photos taken 2007