Clinton County is named for DeWitt Clinton, who was the Governor of New York from 1817 to 1823.
Created: February 20, 1835
Albany 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Albany
Location: 100 South Cross Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1983 – 1984
Architect: Coblin Jonter & Associates
Contractor: Alliance Corporation.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and sand colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the square. On the northwest corner are two two-story arches at the entrance. The roof has a peak at the centre of each side of the building. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock, and atop it is an octagonal smaller cupola with dome roof. A white colored cornice follows the roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank P Milburn and constructed by W L McDonald in 1895. The building was destroyed by fire in 1980.
N – Russell County
E – Wayne County
S – Pickett County, Tennessee
Photos taken 2007