Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: December 18, 1800
Monticello 1800 – present
County Courthouse – Monticello
Location: 109 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Architect: Alfred Lefeber & Associates of Cincinnati, Ohio
Contractor: A S Caylor of Monticello
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story concrete, steel and red colored brick structure. The main entrance at the northeast corner is framed with gray stone with a double window on the second story. Vertical bands of stone run intermittently along the sides of the building. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank P Milburn and constructed by T T Milburn in 1898. The building was demolished.
County Justice Center – Monticello
Location: 125 West Columbia Avenue / Court Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with two white colored columns rising to a wide header and behind is the recessed entrance and glass panels on the second story. Glass panels are on the southeast and northwest sides of the center section. At the top is a hipped roof with large roof behind. The rest of the building has a flat roof.
Note: The cost of construction of the Justice Center was $7,955,000.
E – McCreary County
W – Clinton County
Photos taken 2007