Powell County is named for Lazaus Whitehead Powell, who was the Governor of Kentucky from 1851 to 1855.
Created: January 7, 1852
Stanton 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Stanton
Location: 525 Washington Street / Court Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Chrisman, Miller and Wallace of Lexington
Contractor: Breeden Construction Company of Lexington
Description: The building faces south and is a one story dark brown-red colored brick square structure. The east front has a recessed entrance with a single round brick pillar. The windows are horizontal and narrow. Atop the building is a large square tower with open area containing a bell and above is a clock. The Stanton City Hall is contained in the southwest corner of the building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by B J Bartlett and constructed by J H Walker in 1890. The building was demolished.
E – Wolfe County
W – Clark County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014