Lee County is named for Robert E. Lee, who was a Confederate general in the Civil War, and who lived from 1807 to 1870, or for Lee County in Virginia.
Created: January 29, 1870
Beattyville 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Beattyville
Location: 256 Main Street / Center Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Contractor: Forbes Morris Building Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1978. The south front has three large two story arches. On the third story, there are three windows and a clock on the west section. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Pryse Brandenburg & McQuire in 1871. An addition was constructed by Green Kilburn in 1916. The building was demolished. The iron fence in front of the present courthouse is all that remains of the old courthouse.
E – Breathitt County
S – Owsley County
Photos taken 2007