Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a military general killed at the Battle of Quebec, and who lived from 1736 to 1775.
Created: December 14, 1796
Mount Sterling 1796 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Sterling
Location: 1 Court Street / North Maysville Street
Built: 1958 – 1960
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Meriwether, Marye and Associates
Contractor: Alderman & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to the pediment at the roof. A clock is at the center of the pediment. The entrance door is framed with white colored wood. Stonework forms the corner trim and the window headers. There is a small round white colored cupola on the center of the roof.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by B J Bartlett and constructed by J H Walker in 1890. The building was demolished.
S – Powell County
W – Clark County
Photos taken 2007