Clark County is named for George Ross Clark, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1752 to 1818.
Created: December 6, 1792
Winchester 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Winchester
Location: 34 South Main Street / Cleveland Avenue
Built: 1853 – 1855
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John McMurtry of Lexington
Contractor: John McMurtry of Lexington
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square. The east front has a wide portico supported by two white colored columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. The build ing is shaped like an “H”. In the center of the roof is a high square white colored cupola which rises in tiers to the clock, Above the clock is a round cupola with green colored round roof. The building was expanded in 1889. The architect was W A Brown of Crapsey and Brown. The building was renovated in 1938 to 1939 when the rear wing was added. The architect was John T Gillig. in 1978. In 2018, the clock tower was removed and rebuilt. The architect was Tate/Hill/Jacobs Architects of Lexington and the contractor was Structural Systems Repair Group of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1794. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1797 and the third courthouse was built in 1821. In 1852, the Building Committee accepted the plans of John McMurty of Lexington and employed him to construct the fourth courthouse.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Clark County Courthouse
County Judicial Center – Winchester
Location: 17 Cleveland Avenue / North Wall Ally
Built: 1912 – 1913
Description: The building faces south and is a two story structure. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse and faces the Courthouse Square. The building has light colored stone with red colored title roof. Along the south front are six large columns rising to the second story. The building was constructed as a post office and is located on the north side of the courthouse. The building was converted to the Judicial Center in 1990 to 1991. The architect was WMB Inc.
N – Bourbon County
W – Fayette County
Clock Tower removed in 2018
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018