Wolfe County is named for Nathaniel Wolfe, who was a member of the Kentucky General Assembly, and who lived from 1808 to 1865.
Created: March 5, 1860
Campton 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Campton
Location: 10 Court Street / Washington Street
Built: 1914 – 1917
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: H L Lewman of Louisville
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville
Description: The building faces south and is a is a two story red-orange colored brick and concrete structure. At the south front is a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to the pediment at the roof. In the pediment is a relief of a wolf. Atop the building is a large square dome with gold colored roof and a clock. Wings were added to the east and west sides of the building in 1977. The architect and contractor was Federick & May Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1885. The building was destroyed by fire in 1913. The architect of the present courthouse is presumed to be H L Lewman as he designed many courthouses constructed by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
County Judicial Center – Campton
Location: 11 Johnson Street / Main Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: Bradsetter Carroll Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a central one story portico supported by four columns. On the south side is a square tower with high arched window, rising above the roof line with clock and pediment at the top. The bottom part of the building is white colored concrete with red colored brick at the center part and white colored concrete below the flat roof line.
S – Breathitt County
W – Powell County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014