Menifee County is named for Richard H Menifee, who was a United States Congressman.
Created: March 10, 1869
Frenchburg 1869 – present
Old County Courthouse – Frenchburg
Location: 12 Main Street / Highway 36
Built: 1928 – 1929
Architect: Henry N Foster
Contractor: A B Hamilton
Description: The building faces south and is a two story rough stone structure. The south front has a large square stone tower with entrance on the first story. At the top of the tower is an octagonal cupola. The stone walls are similar to castle walls.
County Courthouse – Frenchburg
Location: NE – Walnut Street / Sycamore Street
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Venture Contracting Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is is a two story light red-pink colored brick structure. The south front has a projecting center section with glass entrance and second story window. On the roof is a white dome. There are horizontal bands of stone above the windows and at the flat roof line. The building is attached to the old courthouse on the east side.
E – Morgan County
S – Wolfe County
Photos taken 2012