Harrison County is named for Benjamin Harrison, who was the co-author of the Kentucky Constitution, and who lived from 1726 to 1791.
Created: December 21, 1793
Cynthiana 1793 – present
County Courthouse – Cynthiana
Location: 111 Main Street / Joe B Hall Court
Built: 1851 – 1853
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John Huddleston
Contractor: John Huddleston and later, R M Calhoun and William B Calhoun
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The east front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to the pediment at the roof. The entrance has a white wood frame and arch. The second story windows are long and narrow. On the roof above the entrance is a octagonal white cupola with clock. The clock and bell tower were added in 1856. In 1877, north and south wings were added. Two wings were added in 1914. The architect was John T Gillig.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1794.
County Judicial Center – Cynthiana
Location: 115 Court Street / Joe B Hall Court
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are three entrance doors with small pediments above. On either side of the portico are small projects with double white colored columns on the second story and pediments at the roof line.
W – Scott County
Photos taken 2007