Bourbon County is named for the House of Bourbon which was the French royal house.
Created: October 17, 1785
Paris 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Paris
Location: 310 Main Street / West 2nd Street
Built: 1902 – 1905
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Frank P Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: J Edward Gibson & Issac N Crawford of Indiana
Description: The building faces east and is a two story stone structure. The east front has a large portico supported by four large stone columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. Below the portico are wide stone steps. The north and south sections of the building protrude slightly. A stone balustrade is along the roof line. On the centee of the roof is a large dome rising in two tiers with a clock, black dome and small cupola at the top. The interior has a rotunda and entrance lobby. .
Note: Frank P Milburn later designed the South Carolina State Capitol and used the Bourbon County Courthouse as his inspiration. He originally designed the building as a proposal for a new State Capital of Kentucky in Frankfort. The cost of construction was $170,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Bourbon County Courthouse
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
County Judicial Center – Paris
Location: 301 Main Street / West 2nd Street
Built: 2002 – 2003
Architect: Architect Plus
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a large portico rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building has a sloped green roof. The courthouse is across the street.
Photos taken 2007